Sunday, January 4, 2015

Why shop "small"

The Mr. and I literally entered last night into what I think may have been a slight coma post our initial grand opening. Leading up to the morning, I worried and played out in my mind just about every bad scenario that could happen.  Luckily, the only thing that I noticed that came close to "bad" happening was that the manager from Steak N Shake (our neighbor) was upset because we ran out of parking spots and people used their back parking lot.  I'll take that "problem" any day!! ha!  (For the record, we buy something from Steak N Shake nearly daily.  Seriously.  I think they may have accidentally "forgotten" about that on Jan. 3rd.....But I digress.....)

The day was a HUGE success.   Everything went smooth like butter, and we had the best people possible surrounding us.

I often post on Facebook to "shop small" or "buy local," and  I just assume that people "get" why that's so important.  You know what assuming does, right???  So, I want to break it down and perhaps give someone a new perspective.  This is also why I don't mind the long hours and perhaps why I think about our responsibility at Vinterest Antiques as my "ministry."

When you shop stores and places like Vinterest Antiques in Hixson, Tenn.,  University Pickers in Huntsville, Ala., Chatt-R-Bug in Chattanooga, Tenn., or Marietta Antique Mall in Marietta, Ga., let me explain what you are actually doing...

Stores like these (and there are 1,000's more throughout and I'm sure one in your city) give folks (your neighbors) from all different walks of life a place to make some money.  When shopping small, think about Kate who is a mother of twins who makes and sells beautiful jewelry so she can bring in extra income; think of Jennifer, a single mom of two little girls, who lives in a small apartment, works full time at a highly demanding job, and then comes home to paint her furniture at night in order to provide a better life for her girls; think about Karen, a 67 year old grandmother, who also lives on the 3rd story of an apartment, who spent over 30 years working at the post office and is now retired, who lugs up 3 flights of stairs cast-away furniture that she reupholsters and brings back to life to supplement her retirement. Those are just some reasons to shop small business.

For some, selling at a place like ours is actually NOT about the money at all.  For some, its a way to bring families together, like the brother/sister who have a booth together, whose relationship is rekindling after the loss of their father.  Think also about the mother and adult son who now create beautiful pieces of furniture together and for once, have "something" to really talk and get excited about.  It about makes me cry when I think about my own family, and how it's brought my father and I closer as I text him "Pinterest" photos, and he figures out how to make it happen, then I get to help him sell it. 

For others, this "venture" is a way to nurture their creativity and gives them a stress-reducing outlet. So when you buy from a small business, think also about how you could be buying from a preacher who prays for and listens to "other people's" problems all day long, and this gives him an outlet so he can have time to relax his mind and enjoy some quiet time alone while rejuvenating his spirit through reviving furniture rejects; think about the Dr. who hears complaining all day long or the "IT Manager" who stares at a computer screen for 9 hours a day.  When you buy from these folks, you are literally filling their life with joy and purpose.

This are just "some" of the reasons that I encourage you to consider buying from small business when you can.  I think this picture floating around sums it up perfectly:






 I would love to hear from you!  Why do you think it's important to buy from small business??










No comments:

Post a Comment