Monday, February 25, 2013

Weird Pickin' Obsessions

In the past 10-15 years, I've moved probably around 8 times.  Luckily, I'm not a hoarder.  I buy and immediately resale or I'll buy, fix up, use for awhile, then eventually resale....  

Rarely do I pay "retail" price for hardly anything. Other than maybe a pair of work shoes and shirts, I cannot think of the last piece of clothing that I've bought that didn't come from either "GS Fashions" (aka, Garage Sale Fashions) or our neighborhood thrift store.  Heck, even the mattress that the Mr. and I sleep on was a hand-me-down from his mother.  I just don't let myself get too attached to "things."  

I wish I could give a noble story of how I help save the Mr. and I "X" amount of money for being a "picker."  But, that would be a lie.  I spend A LOT, but I also have a knack for getting rid of A LOT, whether through University Pickers, or before through a yard sale or by giving away- which I try to do very often.  

Don't let me fool you though.  Every time I've ever moved, and even after a hellacious yard sale, I still have to rent the largest truck on Uhaul's lot.  I have my little guilty pleasures for certain oddities that I just can't seem to pass up when I'm out junkin. 

Anyways, the Mr. and I are about to move....again.  We have been renting the past year a wonderful home in the Mt. Carmel area.  We adore the home and the area, but our priorities have changed.   If we could find a big workshop/warehouse, and some small living quarters, (as long as it had a good shower a place for my dogs to run, and a comfy place to set up our bed,) we'd be in heaven!  (seriously....let us know if you know of somewhere around here like that.)

So today, I'm looking around at all we've got to pack up.  Why oh why couldn't my pickin' obsession have been "less is more?"  Instead, I am obsessed with smalls: random, little things.   You'll notice that at my home AND in my personal booth at University Pickers.  (BTW, my booth is located by the woman's restroom and called "Like Mama Had.")



This little shadow frame hanging in my dining room, turned office, is a prime example.  I'm obsessed with old-school office supplies such as this pencil sharpeners, staplers, hole punchers, you name it.  I also love random pops of colors and vintage kitchen accessories from the 50s and 60s.  When my husband's mother passed away, we inherited her rather large Coca-Cola collection, and now, can't hardly pass up anything Coca-Cola as it makes me think of her.  As a child, I remember my mother not being able to pass up much of cobalt blue glassware, which in turn, I find myself picking up random pieces.  I'm also oddly obsessed with little figurines of animals, such as horses, dogs, squirrels, and skunks.  I have no idea why.






I also adore small collections of "things: grouped together like the above.   This old hanging fishing basket (I think that's what it is) is filled with vintage matchbooks and it's hanging on my wall in my craft room.  


There's a few key pieces from my family that I will never let go of, like this old Breyer horse that used to sit on top of my Grandma's pie safe, that I was obsessed with as a child.  




Anyways, I think I have procrastinated enough for today.  What is your pickin' obsessions look like??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment