Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Vintage Quilt Crisis

One of the most pleasant surprises since entering into "self-employment" for me has been learning to concentrate while in the moment and "being present."  I lived so long reacting to the "ding" of my phone when emails came through that I even got to the point of being timid to lay my phone down in case I missed an important call- ever.  I couldn't even take a bath without my phone being within an arm's length distance.  That, my friends, is a problem and is in need of a serious intervention.

The Mr. could be talking to me, and I'd be physically present, but my mind would be somewhere else- checking or responding to my emails or "solving" problems or "thinking" how I was going to handle x, y, z.  

Don't get me wrong: the feeling of being "busy" and "important" can be quite intoxicating and addictive. It can also be quite distracting.  It's also all smoke and mirrors.  Everyone is replaceable and no one is that important.

Anyways, lately I have found myself a lot more aware and in tune with my surroundings.

So, just a few days ago, I was driving to a sweet lady's house to pick up 2 upholstered chairs that had been posted on a Facebook yard sale site.  On my way, I pulled up to a red light, and I just couldn't help but notice that there stood a homeless man with his little sign asking for food.   

For those of you who have been following us for sometime, you might already know that the Mr. and I have a weak spot for the homeless community.  At the same time, we don't like to give the homeless money for obvious reasons.  It's not uncommon for us to take them to a restaurant and buy them food or offer them something material.  I've actually called Paul before to find that he's picked up some homeless person and he's driving him around (particularly a homeless man in Huntsville called "Freight train,")  and has him in the front seat of truck with him.  I do not advise that to anyone.  Basically, we're straight up suckers. Every. Time.  

I try to keep something in my truck for moment's like this.  So I start to look around in the cab of my truck for a granola bar, piece of fruit, SOMETHING to give him.  I've got nothing.

So, I sit there in my truck, trying to ignore him, and then it dawns on me what's laying in my back seat.  I look to see if it's still there, and sure enough it's a queen size, red vintage quilt, which I had just bought on my last pickin' trip through Texas.  Why I hadn't taken it out of the truck yet, I just don't know. 

Then this thought runs through my mind: "don't ask God to provide something to someone that you could provide yourself." 

All the sudden, the red light turned green, and I find myself in a full-blown moral crisis.

By now, there's a line of cars behind me, and I find myself thinking, "NOT my red quilt!!  I love my quilt!!" 

You see, this quilt is a well broken in, soft to the skin, bright, vibrant color- type quilt.  The kind that you wash with Downy and wrap up in when you're feeling down or tired and it makes you think of your mama- type quilt.  It's the kind that you cover your sofa with and don't mind if your dogs "just this time" jump up on the couch and snuggle with you on a Sunday afternoon- type of quilt.  It is also the type of quilt that looks just so darn cute and cozy draped across a chair or folded neatly across the back of a couch or end of a bed.

As a horn blew behind me, I quickly rolled down my window and offered the man my most perfect, red vintage quilt, and felt my stomach ache with disappointment.  I had a choice and I knew, if I didn't offer the dang quilt to this poor man that he was going to haunt me the rest of the day and I would have a terrible night's sleep.  It was going below 40 degrees that night. 

So as I hang my precious, sweet quilt out the window, knowing he would probably never appreciate it the way I would.

Suddenly, he looks at me and quickly waves me off!  He refuses my gift!  

Just as quick, I snatched my quilt back up, rolled my windows up and accelerated away.  

I sang some praise to Jesus for letting me keep my vintage quilt, and I slept like a baby that night so thankful that I listened and obeyed that little voice- learning several valuable lessons.  For one, I will now make sure that I am a little more prepared. 

So anyways, I found the below on Pinterest,  and they are called "Blessings bags."  I want to challenge each of you to think about making one or two of these for the holidays.  You never know when you may be a blessing to someone who truly needs it.  

I hope to whip some of these up very soon!  

  

Until next time! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment